The government held a consultation between March-June 2011 on how it engages with and listens to women. Individual and organisational responses were invited and there were 19 consultative events. The response was published on 4 November 2011.
The priority areas and most important challenges for women, identified by the consultation are:
- Tackling work-life balance issues including access to high quality affordable childcare
- Access to leadership positions in both business and politics
- Tackling the gender pay gap
- Getting more women to set up in business
- Making higher paid jobs more accessible to all women
- Greater equality for women